Wednesday, April 13, 2011

L is for Lake

Ah lakes... I grew up on lakes.  Central New York is riddled with lakes. They have icy cold water that takes your breath away even at at the end of July.  The wind as soft as a whisper can make catpaws on still waters.  High winds make the waters churn with white caps and large waves.  There is something so soothing sitting and listening to the waves lap against the shore.

At my parents' house on Cayuga Lake high above the water, I sat with my mom listening to the sounds of the forest and in the distance always the sound of water.  Hummingbirds raced through the air and dive bombed our heads, angry that we were near their feeder, while we sat in chairs looking out at the sunset.  Mom would sit in her chair reading the paper or book with her glasses dipped low on her nose and of course, a cup of tea close by.  "Mom, it doesn't get any better than this," I'd say...

1 comment: